Asking a child what he wants to be when he grows up implies an uncountable number of viable career options before him but sure enough the word “pilot” is one of the most frequent answers that they come up with. We’ve all sensed our share of enchanting childlike charm associated with flying with classic movies like “Top Gun” and awe striking air shows but what exactly makes being a pilot an attractive career? What do the kids love so much about being a pilot? Is it the fascination of flying sky high or the power placed in the hands of a pilot? Here is a list of reasons why becoming a pilot is our absolute dream job.
- A pragmatic career choice:Did you know that according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary of a commercial pilot is about $73,490 per year? That’s 73,490 reasons to become a pilot right there! A career as a pilot in aviation fulfills all the checkboxes we consider when choosing for a pathway. Apart from the obvious financial perk, it always has room for personal growth and can promote a person’s potential irrespective of time.
- Practicality and lifelong convenience:Pilots have the attractive privilege of walking right into any airplane, let alone entering airports or airfields. No more waiting in the security queue for clearance and random inspections. A pilot can fly into any airport too and no one has to usher him to make up for time or go faster. Flying is serious business and left entirely to the pilot and his desired pace. Additionally, you don’t have to wait for hours in case of flight delays and worry about bringing in pets either. Who wouldn’t want that?
- Cognitive development:Pilots undergo extensive training to sort out and select the best of the best. However, learning doesn’t end there. Every day a pilot exercises critical thinking and considers several important factors all at once to make the best decision without wasting valuable time. Planning, resource management and logical thinking are instilled in a pilot and exercised every time they take a flight. Pilots are also trained to operate optimally even under stressful situations so urgency doesn’t influence a pilot’s ability to make correct decisions in the long term.
- A view to kill for:Can you imagine the exclusive serenity of a bird’s eye view? Well pilots sure can. Soaring at 1,000 feet from the ground, the front view of a plane can be breathtaking and enticing! The sunlight parting through the clouds, lush green fields, picturesque mountains and peaks, with full vision of what’s front and around, pilots are sure to appreciate the aesthetic beauty of earth that’s only accessible from a pilot’s cockpit. Joan Didion wrote, “The most beautiful things I had ever seen had all been seen from airplanes.”
- Flying beats a desk job any day of the week:A job that’s fun to do, doesn’t even feel like work. The adrenaline rush, the high speed take off, the controlled maneuvering are all part of the deal making being a pilot an enthralling experience that wouldn’t fade away.